Desktop Font License Agreement
The Terms of this End User License Agreement (Agreement) will apply between Workhorse Type Foundry (WTF) and You (You, Your, Yours) if You purchase a license or licenses to use WTF’s Font Software (Fonts).
When You purchase a Font, You are purchasing the right to use that Font under a particular set of conditions. These conditions range from, for example, how many computers the Font can be installed on, to whether it can be embedded in digital documents. It is important to read and understand this Agreement because it defines Your rights, the acceptable uses of the Fonts, and the rights WTF reserves. If You believe Your usage or need is not addressed, or if You are unsure of the meaning of any term or condition, please ask WTF before making a purchase.
WTF agrees to grant You a license or licenses to use the Fonts on the terms of this Agreement and provided that You comply with these terms, in perpetuity.
This license is not exclusive to You, may not be transferred by You, and can be revoked by WTF as provided by in this Agreement.
If You are a parent company purchasing the Fonts for a wholly or partly owned subsidiary, You must ensure Your subsidiary complies with the terms and conditions of this Agreement. Any breach of this Agreement by Your subsidiary will be deemed a breach by You. If You are a subsidiary of a parent company, this license does not allow transfer of this license to Your parent company, Your parent company must purchase an independent license to use the Fonts.
- “WTF” is the Workhorse Type Foundry, a trade name of Havenmade LLC.
- “You”, “Your” and the “End User” are defined as and refer to a customer who has purchased a license to use the Font. An End User is not defined as a distributor, reseller, dealer, sub-licensee, original equipment manufacturer (“OEM”), wholesale buyer or any similar entity. WTF Fonts and products may not be distributed and/or sold to third parties without prior written consent from WTF.
- “Font”, “Fonts” or “Font Software” have identical meanings in this agreement. They are defined as the designs of the Fonts and the Software identified on Your Sales Receipt that produces a typeface design(s) together with any other artworks that may be associated with the Font.
- “Sales Receipt” means the electronic document You receive as confirmation of the Fonts purchased.
- There is no expiry to this Agreement or its terms, so You may use the Fonts in perpetuity with no further licensing costs. There is no geographic limitation to this Agreement, You may use the Fonts worldwide.
Permitted Uses and Restrictions
- Installation The Fonts may be installed and used on the number of computing devices identified on Your Sales Receipt. For example, the purchase of a 1-3 CPU License allows for the installation and use of the Font on up to three (3) computing devices. If you wish to use and install the fonts on additional computing devices you must purchase an upgrade to reflect the increase in Your consumption of the Fonts. Fonts may not be stored or used in any manner that makes them accessible to the public or non-licensed third parties. For the purposes of clarity, this license is for individual users or organizations purchasing for employees only. Under no circumstances may the licensed Fonts be shared with contractors, freelance employees, or affiliates. You may add more computing devices to Your license by purchasing additional licenses.
- Servers You may install the Fonts on a single file server for use on a local area network (“LAN”) within Your business or household. The number of computing devices that can access the Fonts on the server must not exceed the number of computing devices identified on Your Sales Receipt.
- Font File Protection You agree to use reasonable measures to protect the Fonts from access and use by unlicensed third-parties. If You discover or are made aware of any unauthorised access and/or use by an unlicensed third party, You agree to notify WTF as soon as is reasonable.
- Authorised Use Authorised uses of the Fonts include: the production of paper publications like newspapers, books and magazines; print advertising; vinyl or printed signage; logos and logotypes; corporate documents; newsletters and annual reports; images for print and web (static images only); embedding in ePub publications; product/merchandise packaging; marketing materials; presentations (e.g. Powerpoint); film and video (non-broadcast). You agree to indemnify WTF for any third party claim that arises as a result of any unauthorised use by You of the Fonts.
- Service Bureau/Printers To reproduce a particular document, You may provide a copy of the specified Fonts to a commercial printer or service bureau. Afterwards, the printer or service bureau must destroy the copies of the Fonts and You agree to take reasonable steps to ensure this happens.
- Back-up Copies You may make one (1) copy of the Fonts for back-up purposes only. Copies must contain the same documentation, copyright, trademark, and other proprietary notices that appear on, in or with the Fonts. You must keep this back-up copy secure and must not allow any third party to have access to it. You will indemnify WTF for all costs, damages or losses incurred as a result of Your failure to comply with this clause. If You discover or are made aware of any unauthorised access and/or use of the back-up copy by an unlicensed third party, You agree to notify WTF as soon as is reasonable.
- Embedding of Fonts The embedding of Fonts into digital documents, like PDFs, is permitted so long as i) the Font Software is subset, ii) the document text can be viewed and printed but not edited, and iii) reasonable measures are taken to ensure recipients of such documents cannot extract or use the embedded Fonts. Rasterized copies of images showing the Font are permitted provided the images do not result in all or substantially all of the characters comprising the Font. If the resulting images show most or all of the Font characters, a rasterized showing of the Font is not permitted.
- Web Fonts, @font-face and Font Linking Using WTF Fonts with the CSS rule @font-face, Cufòn, or other forms of font linking, regardless of format, are strictly prohibited under this Agreement. A separate Web Font license and accompanying software is available from WTF for this purpose.
- Apps, Games, Hardware and Software This license expressly prohibits the embedding, inclusion, calling or linking of the Fonts within hardware and software in any form whatsoever. This includes, but is not limited to, video games, server-side applications, online document creation, mobile apps, kiosks, and OEM products or software. If You wish to use the Fonts for such purposes, contact WTF to discuss. Notwithstanding, rasterized images of limited text and/or logos created using the Font Software are permitted.
- Modifications You may create outline artworks based upon the Fonts for Your personal or business use. However, the use of any font creation or font manipulation program or any attempt to modify the Font for the purposes of creating a usable, derivative or substitute version of the Font is prohibited. Under no circumstances may You modify, adapt, translate, reverse engineer, decompile, disassemble, alter, or otherwise attempt to discover the source code of the Fonts or the designs embodied therein. You further agree not to commission or authorise any third party to undertake modifications to the Fonts without prior written consent from WTF. Consent may or may not be granted at WTF’s sole discretion.
- Restriction of Alphabet Products This license expressly prohibits the use of the Fonts in the creation of alphabet products such as, but not limited to: house numbers, stamp sets, rub-on letters, adhesive alphabet letters, alphabet punch and die sets or other methods for use in making such products. If You wish to use the Fonts for such purposes, contact WTF to discuss.
- You expressly acknowledge that the Font Software, the designs embodied therein, the trade names and/or trademarks and copyrights associated therewith are each the exclusive property of WTF and that WTF has all the necessary rights and titles to license the Fonts to You. All rights not expressly granted under this license are reserved to WTF.
- You agree that the Fonts and the design of the Fonts embodied therein are owned by WTF and the Fonts’ structure, organization and code are the valuable trade secrets of WTF. You acknowledge that the Fonts are, among other means, protected under United States trademark and/or copyright law, by the trademark and/or copyright and design laws of other nations, and by international treaties.
- At WTF’s request, You agree to provide an audit to confirm the Desktop Fonts You are consuming match Your Sales Receipt. WTF will give You at least 5 business days’ notice to complete the audit.
Warranties and Limitations
- WTF represents and warrants that the Fonts will perform substantially in accordance with the representations made herein. To make a warranty claim, You must notify the source from which You obtained the Fonts together with a copy of Your Sales Receipt. If the Font does not perform substantially in accordance with the representations, the entire and exclusive liability and remedy shall be limited to the replacement of the Font Software or the refund of the license fee You paid for the Fonts, as an authorised officer of WTF may elect. WTF and its suppliers do not and cannot warrant the performance or results You may obtain by using the Fonts. It is Your responsibility to ensure that the Fonts are fit for Your purpose.
- WTF expressly disclaims all warranties, express and implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose. WTF does not warrant that the operation of the Fonts will be unimpeded, uninterrupted or error-free, or that the Fonts are without defects. Without limiting the foregoing under no circumstances shall WTF be liable to You or any other party, whether in contract or tort (including negligence) or otherwise, for any indirect losses, special, consequential, or incidental damages, including lost profits, lost savings, loss of data, or business interruption as a result of the use of or the inability to use the Fonts even if notified in advance of such possibility.
- Any breach of the terms of this Agreement shall be cause for immediate termination without the obligation of notice or opportunity to cure. WTF shall be entitled to seek any and all remedies under law or equity, without limitation, including injunctive relief without the obligation of posting security or bond. You agree to immediately discontinue using and delete the Fonts and certify that no copy remains in Your possession or control.
- Any dispute or difference arising out of or in connection with this Agreement will be referred to and finally resolved by arbitration in Utah in accordance with Utah law. The arbitration shall be by one arbitrator to be agreed upon by both You and WTF and if both parties cannot agree within twenty-one (21) days from the date upon which the dispute arises then an arbitrator will be appointed by the state of Utah.
- You agree that this Agreement between WTF and You was formed in the state of Utah, and any cause of action arising from it, arises in the state of Utah and will be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of Utah and within the exclusive jurisdiction of the Utah courts.
- WTF reserves the right to amend or modify this Agreement at any time and without prior notification. Any modifications will preserve the original permitted uses of this Agreement. Modifications may account for changes in technology that would otherwise impair or render obsolete provisions in this Agreement. Modifications shall not be applied retroactively and any original intended use cases will not be void as a result of any modifications. WTF will make such amended terms available at www.workhorsetypefoundry.com. If You do not agree to the modified terms, Your continued use of the Desktop Fonts could be in breach of the Agreement.
- This Agreement embodies the entire understanding between WTF and You and supersedes all prior arrangements or understandings. If an applicable Court declares any part of it to be invalid or unenforceable, the remaining provisions shall continue in full force and effect.
- To the extent permitted by applicable law, You hereby waive any provision of law that would render any clause of this Agreement invalid or otherwise unenforceable in any respect. In the event that a provision of this Agreement is held to be invalid or otherwise unenforceable, such provision will be interpreted to fulfill its intended purpose to the maximum extent permitted by applicable law, and the remaining provisions of this Agreement will continue in full force and effect.
- WTF will not be deemed to have waived any of its rights under this Agreement by lapse of time or by any statement or representation other than by an authorized representative in an explicit written waiver. No waiver of a breach of this Agreement will constitute a waiver of any other breach of this Agreement.
- All inquiries of WTF may be sent by email to email@example.com. The Workhorse Type Foundry website is located at www.workhorsetypefoundry.com.